Proper handling of vaccines will help ensure
that products remain effective, potent and safe. For best results,
follow these guidelines.
- Use only approved products.
Novartis Animal Health products – both
custom and commercial – are manufactured in USDA-approved
facilities to high standards of safety and potency. They are
backed by Novartis’ technical
support and customer service.
- Follow product directions. These
- Dose size
- Route of administration (IM, SubQ, Intranasal)
- Number of doses
and interval between doses
- Rehydration directions, if needed
- Storage (i.e. refrigeration)
- Age and type of animal for which
product is approved
- Warnings, indications, withdrawal times
- Proper disposal
- Do not use outdated products.
- Do not combine vaccines; combining
products could diminish or destroy their effectiveness.
- Good sanitation practices will
help avoid contamination and maintain vaccine effectiveness.
- Avoid muddy,
dirty or wet injection sites
- Change needles frequently
- Use clean syringes and needles
- Don’t go back
into the vaccine bottle with a dirty needle